I moved yesterday, and came across a heart shaped box I've kept (and forgot about) full of every single note I've ever received from my friends in middle and high school. Most of them are from my best friend during that period of my life, Sarah. Finding them and curating for School Rules this morning inspired me to write this.
One day, in my 8th grade German class with Frau Goepel, Sarah and I had been passing notes. I think it's safe to say that note passing is a no-no in most classes, and a universal school rule, but Sarah and I did it all of the time. Well on this unfortunate day, she caught me. She took the note I had just passed to Sarah, unfolded it, and read it to the class. I still remember how hot my cheeks were and the mortification of everyone learning about my crush on Adam. It was truly one of the moments in life where you just want a little hole to open up in the floor and swallow you up, or that scene from Amelie when she melts into a puddle.
I remember later that day in orchestra, a girl who had witnessed the worst moment of my life told me that it was so unfair and wrong what Frau did to me. Her words did little to console a traumatized 13-year-old me. A few months later, Frau came to class from the restrooms with the back of her blue dress tucked into her nylons. Being the terrible adolescents that we were, nobody said anything for a good 5 minutes until she figured it out from the poorly stifled chuckles and snickering coming from her class while she was writing on the chalkboard. I always viewed it as karma, and for that 33-year-old me feels like an asshole.
Saying thank you will never be enough. Thought i'd do something different.... oh em freakin' gee. I love you all!
Thank you all for 4 amazing years on this site! I feel honored to have seen it grow to what it is today. Love you all so very much.
Skip to 1:35 if you are bored by my monologue. ;)
(Sorry for the low voice, my housemates were already in bed when I recorded this...)
This place is one of my favorite places I have ever been. I couldn't believe the feelings that I felt as I stood in wonder at the beauty that was before my eyes. Absolutely took my breath away and I hope this image will help inspire those same feelings that I felt, It is my gift to you! (Also available as a Time Lapse)
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have pretty big news… WE WON AN EMMY! To all of the artists, all over the world that contributed their ideas, writing, music, animation, really ANY kind of RECording: thank you, thank you, thank you!! We all earned this together.
We won the award for Outstanding Creative Achievement in Interactive Media in the category of Social TV Experience, which means that the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences has recognized our collaborative efforts in making this show together through hitRECord.org.
So thank you to the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for recognizing the efforts of so many who made a show like HITRECORD ON TV possible. While our main focus as a community is to seek validation in the work we do together, it’s truly an honor to have an established institution like the Emmy’s take notice of our collaborative process.
I’d also be remiss if I didn’t thank our amazing network, Pivot, as they took a chance on this show before we even made the first episode.
So I say it again - thank you all!! I can’t wait for Season 2. In fact, if you are ANY kind of artist, come work with us. We’re in production right now, and it’s going really, really well. So come and join us!
CLICK HERE to watch Episode 1.
After almost 9 months of production, I'm happy to say these beauties will be available in the Record Store soon!
Also coming soon for purchase: Scenes From A Fictional Film Postcards!
In addition to all the HITRECORD ON TV Season 2 collabs we've been working on, we wanted to touch upon some of our non-TV collabs and their current status. Check it out!
> THE UNTITLED PATTERN BOOK
- We are currently in development for self-publishing this book. We will update the Community if there are any additional requests for this collab.
- The new release date for this book is now during the first half of 2015.
> HITRECORD ON TV SEASON 1 BOX SET
- The Season 1 Box Set is finished.
- Pre-sale for the Season 1 Box Set is August 12th
- The Box Set will be released on December 2nd and will be available internationally.
> SOCIAL ACTION VIDEOS
- The four Social Action videos are completed.
- These videos were made in collaboration with pivot, Professor Jenkins of USC & The MacArthur Foundation, and will potentially be shown in classrooms all over the world.
- pivot is in charge of the distribution for these videos, but they will be uploaded to the site as soon as possible.
- pivot may be potentially be airing these videos as 90 second spots on their network for their Digital Literacy Campaign.
> YOU GOT ALL YOU NEED COLLAB
- The new title for this music video is Look Around.
- This music video has two different versions.
- The first version includes footage shot with both the Sony Music Video Recorder & other cameras from the community. This version will be distributed throughout all hitRECord networks.
- The second version will have footage exclusively shot with the Sony Music Video Recorder. This version will be distributed on Sony's networks.
- Profits from 2013 are allotted for this production. Therefore, anybody who's work is used on either of these versions will receive a portion of the profits.
- Look Around will be distributed in the next two weeks.
NOTE: Project Updates regarding in development non-TV related Productions and HITRECORD ON TV Season 2 will be coming soon.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: If you have any questions or comments regarding any of these collabs, please contribute to the hitRECord Town Hall collab HERE.
I can't believe JohnnyCallMe's piece of writing hasn't had it's own collaboration yet, I might have to start one....
I wanted to make an edit worthy for it, so I gave it a shot! I tried to make it like the Flickering Lights short film, which is why I chose to use quick cuts and dustinhenry's simple but creepy audio record.
Some of the clips are speeded up and had a bit of a clour change.
I might upload a version with one voice, but I think it would be great if any audio remixers out there layered lots of VOs on top of each other for a creepy effect.
Let me know what you think and go ahead and edit your own version!