How can we make our site better for you?
MILK OF PARADISE
2013-03-02 18:04:53 +0100
Feb 17, 2012
BOY ON BIKE
2012-05-31 05:22:59 +0200
alright, alright, alright. back to the drawing board, so to speak.
2012-06-02 03:40:02 +0200
I just rewatched to look for him flying from the ground... Uh...you guys.. I think that's him going over bumps in the road. We have bad streets in ny state. That's at least ow I interpreted it... Watch again, with that in mind, I'd say... Have u ever ridden a bike, sometimes they fly off the ground on those bumps... My 2 cents
2012-06-01 01:48:08 +0200
Breathing sound effects would be great.. If anyone doesn't want to have to make me sit through a recording session with milk, cus they are long and we get in fights when one of us has to direct the other,they should upload some audio of the, breathing hard, like almost wheezing, panting.. A few different types, would be cool
2012-06-01 01:44:52 +0200
This is one of the things that I love more about our community, we can always give ideas to each other so we can improve our skills :D
I have a couple of comments about your points here, I am not an expert about animations and video editing, I made some in the past, but I am just learning, anyway as an observer here you have my thoughts:
1. I think that your idea of the titles and the name of the hitrecorders being presented as in the classic cartoons is fine, but I would make the typography smaller and maybe your idea of shrink down the by-lines could work better.
2. I like that your video was made at night, I think that it's different and for me works fine, no problem about that.
3. Lighting, I am agree that you need more lights, I don't know what programm you used for your videos and animations, but I am sure that you can find something there to fix it, I think that it could be so much better if the boy on the bike could have more light around him.
5. Movement: I think that it's fine but from the seconds 35 to 50 there are a couple of times where it seems like the bike is not touching the street, but for me, the rest of the time is working fine.
7. Sounds: I could add some bike sound effects, like pedals or a bicycle horn, and I really like the music that you chose.
Hope it helps! :D
2012-06-01 01:11:11 +0200
The title card is good. Leave it.
There definitely should be a drop shadow. And that natural light will help, but that it is good like it is now:)
Pedaling and breathing both wouldn't be a great idea. I think maybe one or the other, if you inclined to add more layers to this. Again in my honest opinion, just a drop shadow will be great. It's really good!
2012-06-01 00:53:36 +0200
To all the responders:
1. THANK YOU. I was starving for feedback.
2. TYPOGRAPHY-- is all the title-card text jarring? I like the idea of having the title card upfront-- like in classic cartoons-- but I can appreciate if the text choices make it hard to swallow. If I shrink down the by-lines does that address everyone's concerns? The "Boy On Bike" title text is straight from the MadCharacter version-- does it too not work for people? If so, what're you envisioning?
3. NIGHT/DAY -- I filmed a bunch of versions of the street background before deciding on this one (i couldn't find any POV suburban road footage on-site and decided to go out and do it myself with my brother). All daytime attempts were failures. As jarring as the boy's coloration is now, 100% more so by day. I'd even challenge the notion that he's drawn in "natural light"; the kid's skin's white. My hope was that the headlight effect would account for his white skin, while the blackness of night helps to mute the thick black outlines. HelloDough, actually, uploaded a daytime version, which I think helps to illustrate these challenges.
4. LIGHTING -- so I'd like to stick with this footage, for reasons aforementioned and so that I don't have to start entirely from scratch. However, I can now see that this kid needs some serious lightning effects if he's to ever look like a real boy. Ideas: Create a drop shadow on the street; Spot-light the boy, so that when he shifts from center he grows darker. What does everything think? Any other ideas?
5. MOVEMENT-- i'm hopeful the drop shadow will bind the boy better to the road, but if that's not enough, I do see a few instances where he seems to rise above it. If anyone's got specific time-points, I'd love to hear them. Speaking of which, I don't see quite what you mean on the 45 sec., MadChar, but I'll make him lean the other way and see how it looks. (I'm also not seeing the off-white title-square, but I'll see what I can do there too).
6. SOUND EFFECTS -- do people think pedal/breathing sounds would help or hinder? Or maybe just that the music needs to be louder?
7. THANKS -- again. Viva La Hitrecord!
2012-06-01 00:47:14 +0200
You did a good job for this type of footage using this type of animation. Besides the remarks below, I can suggest you to use some effects to make more similar style for these two video records and to add more keyframes for smooth movements. Also I noticed that at the 45 sec (at the turn) physically the boy leans on the wrong side and white screen at the beginning (during zoom out) is not the same color with background from boy's animation, it's hard to see, but it can be.
2012-05-31 22:15:15 +0200
I really like it but I am with Edward Shallow: the lighting is the biggest issue. Either reshoot by day as he suggested or maybe lower the brightness of the boy (if you know what I mean / if this is even possible). I would also love to see what it looks / sounds like when some sound effects are added (pedals). <3
2012-05-31 21:21:23 +0200