VISUAL ARTISTS: Please refer to this Visual Request List when contributing your Visuals to the Getting To Know Your Mom collab. CONTRIBUTE HERE
* Narrator (Stereotypical announcer from the 50’s and 60’s - neat, trim - kind of like a game show host, but not as flashy)
* Sally (Age 10 - present day. Quintessential wholesomeness, but remember that she lives in today’s world, as she’s supposed to be born in 2004. Either way, she should be wearing glasses, since there’s a reference to her wearing glasses in the script)
* Sally’s Mom (Age 40 - present day)
* Sally’s Mom (Age 30 - circa 2004 - right after she became a mom)
* Sally’s Mom (Age 25 - circa 1999 - young professional business woman)
* Sally’s Mom (Age 18 - circa 1992 - in college)
* Sally’s Mom (Age 14 - circa 1988)
* Sally’s Dad (Age 40 - present day)
* Boyfriend 1 (Handsome young man from college - 18 years old)
* Boyfriend 2 (Brian - a jock)
* Boyfriend 3 (Chaz - a tall, tattooed guy, with cut up jeans and a mohawk)
* Other boyfriends (Michael, John, Enrique, Steve, Jean-Pierre, Lazy Dave, Chris, Brian)
* Girlfriend 1 (Jennifer)
* Mom’s boss
* Mom’s friends (Age 14 circa 1988)
* Create the world that Sally and the Narrator live in
* Mom’s school (Circa 1988)
* Mom’s school library (Circa 1988)
* Mom’s dorm room (Circa 1992)
* Textured Backgrounds with patterns, shapes, and/or colors for other characters to stand in front of
* Wedding Altar
* Mom’s dream car
* Title treatment and lettering - GETTING TO KNOW YOUR MOM
* Draw Miscellaneous Props
VOICE OVER ARTISTS: Contribute Voice Over performances of both the Narrator & Girl from this script. CONTRIBUTE HERE
GETTING TO KNOW YOUR MOM!: AN EDUCATIONAL FILM
- Fade in to reveal a the title of our short, 'GETTING TO KNOW YOUR MOM.'
- Cross fade through different shots of moms holding and caring for their children.
NARRATOR: Mothers... It's been said that they know best. But what do we know about them? Who were they before they were 'Mom?' To answer that question, we'll have to go back before even you were born.
SALLY: Who me?
NARRATOR: That's right, Sally. It wasn't that long ago that your mom was your age.
SALLY: My Age?
NARRATOR: That’s right. But back then your mom wasn’t, well, your mom yet.
SALLY: Then, who was she?
NARRATOR: Well, she was just like you.
- SALLY looks doubtful.
NARRATOR: Here, let me show you.
- SALLY sits down and watches attentively.
NARRATOR (Cont.): You see, in her youth, your mom focused on things like friends...
- MOM (14) walks with her friends - laughing and talking.
NARRATOR (Cont.): Boys...
- She and her friends giggle as a few guys walk by.
NARRATOR (Cont.): ...And school.
- She sits in a library and reads a book, her large glasses prominent.
NARRATOR (Cont.): Remind you of anyone?
- SALLY gasps, takes off her own simmilar large glasses and hides them behind her back.
NARRATOR (Cont.): Don't believe me, huh?
- SALLY shakes her head, petulant.
NARRATOR (Cont.): Well gee, you have hopes don't ya?
NARRATOR: ...And dreams?
SALLY: Uh Huh (yes)
NARRATOR: Well so did your mom! (aside) Until you came along.
SALLY: (concerned) Wait. What?
NARRATOR: Whoa there Sally, that's jumping a little too far ahead. Your mom had a lot of growing up to do before you arrived...
- MOM (18) sits in a college dorm room. A YOUNG MAN knocks on the door. MOM answers the door and smiles mischievously. The screen freezes just as the YOUNG MAN smiles back.
SALLY: Hey, wait a minute; that’s not my dad!
NARRATOR: No shit! The truth is…
- SALLY leans forward.
NARRATOR (Cont.): ...Before she met your dad, your mom dated other people.
SALLY: Other people?
NARRATOR: She sure did.
SALLY: How many?
NARRATOR: Well, let’s see. There was Brian...
-A JOCK catches a football and poses for the camera.
-A tall, tattooed guy, with cut up jeans and a mohawk, nods and snarls at the camera while he holds a ‘nerdy’ student upside down.
NARRATOR: (Faster cuts of guys waving at the camera flash up on the screen as the Narrator reads off the list) There was Michael, John, Enrique, Steve…
- SALLY’s eyes widen as the list continues to flash up on screen...
NARRATOR: ...Jean-Pierre, Lazy Dave... Chris, Brian, Jennifer...
NARRATOR: The point is, when she was at school your mom had a lot going on.
SALLY: But then she became my mom, right?
SALLY: There's more?
NARRATOR: And how.
-We PAN LEFT from a building entrance.
NARRATOR: After your mom graduated college, everything started falling into place for her. She had her dream job...
- MOM (25) seen shaking hands with her boss, smiling at camera.
NARRATOR: her dream car...
-She shakes hands with a salesman, same pose, smiling at camera.
NARRATOR: ...she even met your father.
- Mom and Dad shake hands at the altar - exactly the same pose.
NARRATOR: Yes, everything was going just as planned. That was, until August 10th, 2004.
SALLY: Hey, that’s my birthday.
NARRATOR: That’s right!
SALLY: But that means...
NARRATOR: Don't worry Sally, some of the best things in life AREN’T planned. Your mom found that out on the day you were born.
-We ZOOM IN on MOM (28) holding her child
-SALLY smiles, and proudly puts her large glasses back on.
NARRATOR: (encouragingly) There ya go.
-We FADE OUT from SALLY and FADE IN to the NARRATOR walking towards and talking to the camera.
NARRATOR: So what do you know about your mom? Maybe you've already asked all the important questions. Maybe you're afraid to ask. Either way, you should try...
- Quick ZOOM IN on the NARRATOR’s face.
NARRATOR: ...GETTING TO KNOW YOUR MOM!
- The title, 'Getting to Know Your Mom' WIPES onto the screen as the NARRATOR says it.
MUSIC PLAYS OUT
Jessica Rau has recorded for such international clients as Disney, Pixar, Samsung, Hyundai Motor Company, Kia Motor Company, LG, The United Nations, Korean Air, Vivendi Universal, Aveeno, Estee Lauder, AOL, and Scholastic.
Jessica grew up near Chicago, studied music in Nashville, and began her career in Seoul. She sang from an early age, touring Europe and North America and featuring regularly as a soloist with the world class Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus (now Anima Young Singers of Greater Chicago). She moved to Nashville, Tennessee to attend Belmont University and graduated with a degree in Commercial Music, vocal performance.
Jessica moved to South Korea, and after a year as an 'edutainer' at English Village theme park, she began a successful career as a voice actor and studio singer. In her first six years of voice acting in Seoul, Jessica booked an unprecedented 6,000 hours on mic, spanning the industries from games and animations to corporate narrations, commercials, and countless English educational programs. Jessica became one of the most sought after character voice actors and session singers in Seoul.
She is now based in Los Angeles.
VISUAL ARTISTS: Draw Visuals from THIS VISUAL REQUEST LIST.
ANIMATORS: Contribute Test Animations of these Visuals.
VOICE OVER ARTISTS: Contribute Voice Over performances of both the Narrator & Girl from THIS SCRIPT.