Oh my golly it’s a test animation for Mollie!
Even though Mollie has been cut from the TV Show, Pamagotchi and I are still very excited to work on producing a music video for this wonderful track originally created by TheLastDomino.
The test is very rough, and short, but I hope it’s enough to show the aesthetic we’re going for. This is where I need you, the community, to help me build Mollie’s world. The main idea in terms of visual treatment is to create a 1950s inspired photo collage. Even though the test is tinted sepia, this was because the public domain footage I used was limited to that. We want lots of retro colours! We adore Loddi’s concept art and want to go along a similar path. There are loads of ways to contribute, so I hope y’all hop on board.
Please take a look at this VISUAL REQUEST LIST to see what we need
and use this GREEN SCREEN REFERENCE CUT when creating the props and scenes.
Photographers – Take photos of both scenes and props to be turned into a photo-collage world for Mollie. Scenes of a red carpet entrance to a cinema, a shopping aisle for the toy shop, the second-hand-store can be created in many different ways so get creative!
Illustrators – Come up with logo and packaging designs for Mollie and the box she is sold in! We would also love hand drawn, cheesy, old-school post cards of tourist attractions (e.g. the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, Big Ben) to serve as backdrops when Mollie and Victor are together. Or perhaps you’d like to come up with a retro movie poster design for when Mollie stars in Hollywood films! The rest of the elements should look photorealistic, so feel free to illustrate things like the ‘50s biplane but try to make it look like a vintage photograph.
Public Domain Curators – Find resources on the public domain to be used for Mollie’s world. A combination of still images and videos are important to layer together, just like I did for the shot of Mollie blowing a kiss to JFK.
Image remixers/Collage makers – Use photographs on the site and the public domain to remix into a collage for a background. I have curated some examples of great collages here, so use these as inspiration but remember that it is a ‘50s retro theme!
Animators – There’s about 40 different cuts in the reference video, averaging a few seconds each. While I’m lead animator for this project I strongly encourage other animators to join in the fun and choose a shot to animate, then I can add it into the final composition.
PD Resources used in this test:
PS- resourced the Herbert & Isle animation because it had the film reel flicker thing that I can’t find anywhere else
UPDATE 6/1: Mollie has been given her second chance in the form of a possible community band performance at the premiere party for season 2!! Sooo MeganCarnes and I did a thing. Also, this announcement came exactly one year after the collab was first made official! Neat, eh??
UPDATE 4/12/15: My good friend and brand new RECorder, Rjak, just uploaded live footage of the song from TLD's tenth anniversary show, featuring his wife Heather as Mollie! CHECK IT.
UPDATE 11/23: The Shuttersmith is a BOSS. Video editors/animators/stock footage compilers: PLEASE collab with both her and Pamagotchi to produce a music vid in this new direction! Thanks for keeping Mollie alive, everyone!!
UPDATE 7/30: The HoA UK crew filmed some ridiculously awesome live-action footage. The Shuttersmith is working on animating it, so this is gonna take Mollie on a whole new adventure! Thank you all so much for this!! =)
UPDATE 5/30: MOLLIE IS NOW OFFICIAL (sans quotation marks)!!! Thanks to MattConley, edwardtheninth, and everyone who made this possible! I always knew Mollie had it in her. CONTRIBUTE, FOOL!! And stay tuned, because all of the different requests are still to come!
UPDATE 5/7: "Official" collaboration page HERE!
UPDATE 4/24: PontiusPython found some excellent creative commons footage of a doll circus! This is a great jumping-off point for video/animation ideas. Thanks, Candace! And a heartfelt thanks for everyone's contributions so far. Keep 'em comin'!!
UPDATE 4/22: Stems zip RECord here!
Not gonna lie...I think this song has MASSIVE collab potential.
The lyrics tell the story of Mollie - a doll who was once number one, but is now past her prime and has been replaced by a newer model. The overall theme is summed up the last few stanzas; the inevitability of becoming second-rate in a matter of a few ticks of the second hand. I'm picturing an All About Eve-influenced animated short/music vid to along with it.
First off, this needs a female singer to redo the vocals however she deems fit. Also brass, woodwinds, keys, percussion, guitars, basses, kazoos, etc. to add to the track, fill in the gaps, and especially to make that middle musical break EXPLODE in a sultry, burlesquey maelstrom of jazz. If anyone really wants to help me make this happen, I'd be more than ecstatic to zip up track stems, BPMs, a chord list, and whatever else you might need.
Thanks for listening, RECorders. I'm ridiculously proud of this one, and there's nowhere else I would want it to be.
I used to be, if I say so myself
The envy of all other dollies
Girls came in droves to grab me off the shelf
And put me in their parents' trolleys
I traveled the world; made its leaders my pals
And appeared in a few moving pictures
A beacon of class and a role model to gals
I was the perfect mixture
Soon I was paired up by marketing teams
With the tall, dark, handsome Victor®
He took me places of which I'd but dreamed
No wonder they called him an "action figure"
Not long after that, people turned and they flocked
To some little trollop named Carlie®
They pushed me aside and cast me to the dark
In a chest with the stickers and lollies
Now I gather dust in this secondhand shop
Girls pass by without a clue
And to the first choices all sitting on top:
The second hand's tickin' for you
In addition to the guidelines touched upon in the latest request vid for "Mollie", these are just a few more things that we want to make sure that contributing musicians keep in mind when recording.
Also, near the bottom are BPMs and chord changes.
- The word "class" in verse 1 as well as the first syllable of "choices" in verse 3 are just a half-step down from their previous notes, as opposed to how those phrases are sung in the first parts of the verses. Listen to the song and refer to the lyrics to see what I mean. It may seem nitpicky, but the chord changes there are slightly different, so it's a difference that makes a difference!
- If the words "dollies" in v1 and "Carlie" in v3 seem awkward and rushed as eighth notes, then by all means, change them to quarters. Again, feel free to make it your own! The same goes for anyone who saw my .doc file in the original stems and found the note about growling certain words; don't feel locked into anything if it doesn't seem natural to you.
- Bass should come in at bar 27 (at the top of verse 2).
- A simple, jazzy walking style seems like the way to go. We don't want it to be overly technical, but you can add some fills and such where you see fit, as long as they aren't stepping on Mollie's lines. You wouldn't like her when she's angry...
- Bass should probably drop out at the slowdown (bar 87) and come back in at the pickup (bar 103), but if you want to play during these parts, then do it. We may not use it, but it's better that we have more to work with than deciding later on that we could've used more to work with.
- The guitar for the song is tuned down a half-step to Eb, so it may be beneficial to do the same with the bass to make certain notes a bit easier to find/play.
- Drums should come in at bar 41, just as verse 1 ends. A simple brush pattern on a snare is preferable as we should slowly be building to...
- The instrumental break at bar 65: Big sound here! Well, big within the feel of the track; not Dave Grohl big. Though, not necessarily not Dave Grohl big... Follow your instincts!
- Drums should drop out at the slowdown (bar 87) and come back in at the pickup (bar 103). Volume from then on should be inbetween the quietness of the verse and the drive of the instrumental break, but if you wanna get louder toward the end, then so be it!
BPM: 156 until 1:38 where it changes to 126, then back to 156 @ 2:02. 2:15-end is rubato.
Chords (guitar is tuned a half-step down to E flat if that helps with certain notes):
Intro: G#min (w/ variations)
Verse (pt 1)
G#min, F#, E, Bsus2
C#min, E, D#7sus4, D#7
G#min, Bsus2, C#min, G#min
C#min, E, D#, D#7
Verse (pt 2) / instrumental break
G#min, F#, E, Bsus2
C#min, E, D#7sus4, D#7
G#min, D#/G, C#min, G#min
E, D#, G#min (w/ intro variations)
Final chord: G#min9
Have fun with this one, RECorders! Thank you all ever so much for your time and effort toward this collab. It really does mean worlds to me, and I'm sure that Mollie will be something/someone that the entire community can be proud of!
NOTE: Please refer to THIS ZIP with all the material you'll need to contribute.
Note: Zip Files are useful for upload and downloading raw resources in native formats like Photoshop, Illustrator, high-quality Video and Audio projects, and batches of stem files.
However: When downloading, please remember to use caution opening any files downloaded from the internet if you don't recognize the filetype.
ANIMATORS, ILLUSTRATORS, & DESIGNERS: Help fill the gaps in The Shuttersmith's VISUAL TREATMENT REQUEST!
BASSISTS & DRUMMERS: Contribute your parts to the song!
HORN PLAYERS & OTHER INSTRUMENTALISTS: Contribute your parts to flesh out the big, jazzy MIDDLE SECTION!