I plan on making this my most comprehensive collection of my very favorite audio works. so this is subject to additions weekly. but i'll be picky about it.
1. The Universe is Us (audio) by TongueCutSparrow- It took me perhaps a bit longer to stumble upon tonguecitsparrow's devillishly joy-division-with-a-little-more-meat-on-the-bone style. But I love it.
2. Sick Again (audio) by RegularJOE - Is it hitREcord cliche to feature a RegularJOE record? Sorry, heh. But personally i feel this captures a certain bed-ridden-malaise that perhaps it was meant to quite perfectly. My compliments.
3. Notre Belle Descente by Madrond101 -Beautifully faltering piano lines, and whimsical accordion. So perfect for silent film.
4. When We Were Invisible by wirrow - Firstly, I'm a sucker for delicately used handclaps as minimal percussion. Theres a nice dichotomy to this song. somewhat sad, somewhat magical, somewhat cheerful, somewhat full of exhaustion. it makes the world slow down, that's for certain.
5. Dark of Love by The Morning Hollows - This song makes me feel good. I like beats that sound like they were recorded by holding a taperecorder up to the radio.
6. Fuck You, Spider by sexymoustache - this would be great to animate. the song has all the cutesyness of The Moldy Peaches sense of humor and all.
7. Bad Habits by Ryan patrick - dreamy folk. dreamy folk.
more descriptions later.
This is a more dramatic one I recorded today 01/28/11
I was humming this in the shower, and I decided to record it. Here are the results. Let me know what you think.
I've been working on this for over a week, and it kills my right hand every time I play it. It's a good kind of pain though :)
i'm not coming back.
i need my space.
she says i wasn't around enough.
well, maybe i wasn't...
i make too little noise for you.
i don't like to be alone
but i can't stand the pressure of being your friends.
i am placing this one firmly in the "what the hell have i done?" category. it started out as one thing, became another, and then sort of just grew legs and ran away from me. anyway, it all started with messyowl's words, which i love (and to which i may have done irreparable harm).
and you were the ocean
like annabel lee
wishing and washing
forming the stars
with footprints in the sand
closing your eyes
breathing the liquid land
like annabel lee
closing your mind
forgetting your regrets
with the sea
tipsing and terving
with the waves and bodies
like annabel lee
just like annabel lee
dying and woeing
i don't know where i've been
i can't recall if i'm wearing thin
i don't mind if i'm lost
i don't mind if i'm tired and frail and lost
i left a man in my wake
resented him for what he had to say
i don't mind that i'm alone
i don't mind that my heart, it carries stones
my heart, it carries stones
i told it all, unedited
i told it all like i remembered it
they interlocked and then they fled
and met again, but the love they'd made was dead
i am no historian
i'm prone to error in the records i give
i am proud of what i feel
i am proud that my skin is tempered steel
my skin is tempered steel
Metaphorest wrote it and sang it; the lass writes in French too? She's a regular Nabokov! Suzyrene played magnificent piano. Today Madrond101 resurrected in true french form with his accordion, which inspired themetafictionist to sing a harmony part, which has inspired me to sing this.
I think it probably sounds a bit too much like ol' Tom. En plus, mon français peux être plus claire. Mais putain, c'est écrit par une irelandaise alors merde.
Clapping hands, snapping fingers, a few regular hits on the chest and the thighs - here goes my tiny contribution to The Um Song :)
I've been working on this song for almost a year. I finally finished the second verse. I'm really proud of some of these lyrics. The lyrics are resourced below in case you wanted to remix this at all. :)