1. "Vista Footage" (InterNTNL_Lyn) - Lyn has done a spectacular job of replying to the "Vista Theatre Video REquest" RECord, as evident in this album of Vista Theatre raw footage. And her work is already being used in many videos for the "hitRECord at the Movies" intros. But I really wanted to commend Lyn for taking the time to take this collection of raw footage. Her efforts will be paid forward in a lot of ways because not only is the footage well shot, but she shot from so many angles and did an outstanding job with camera movements (her pans and tilts are great, but even greater and more useful since she did multiple takes.) This is community-based collaboration at its finest and this isn't the first time Lyn has stepped up and gone the extra mile (and a half) for a collaboration or a project REquest. I applaude you, Lyn.
2. "dreaming of sleep" (lindork) - The result of a classroom doodle, lindork has created a very soothing visual RECord. Surrounded by what appear to be words from the other side of the paper, the sleeping girl seems to be in such a peaceful state. But it's really the effetc that words have on the drawing that I really resonated with. They seemed to end up representing the endless amounts of thoughts that cycle their way through our dreams, and thoughts. Often times we see thoughts drawn or visualized through images rather than words. But in "dreaming of sleep" the words (whether intentional or not) seem to represent what's within the girl's dreamlike state of mind.
3. "Been recording" (KamPAIGN) - KamPAIGN is back on the mic. I like this track a lot because it's got a bit of a concept to it (back-and-forth with the audio engineer in the background) but it also puts the emphasis on lyrics and performance; there's very little done to the vocals by way of post-production. I personally found this reminiscent of the songs I used to hear on tape decks in the park during pick-up basketball games; it's quite the mellow hip-hop tune. It'd be interesting to play around with this recording by making way for another verse by inserting a section of lava_tornado's instrumental between Kam's two sets. As a side note, it's been great to hear more rap collaborations surface recently on hitRECord.
4. "O VIRGA" (TaraMarie) - Combining via's vocals with video that sways between old fashioned and modern (thanks to some layered post-production effects,) this experimental short flows very nicely with the selected music. Despite the use of waviness and static post-production effects, the visuals remain quite calming and peaceful. That's certainly a difficult reaction to achieve when toying with the effects that TaraMarie used here. There is lots of other raw footage that could be inserted into this video that would strengthen the emotional impact of the piece. But this is a noteworthy base layer to a project I could see developing further. And of course the footage within "O VIRGA" would also fit wonderfully into something else entirely. tori's "Sonnet 29" came to mind. I could see this character (especially in silhouette form) lending itself to that RECord quite nicely.
5. "Daniel" (Ebro910) - Eerie, majestic, and filled with lingering beauty, Ebro910's "Daniel" is a haunting work of art. This reminded me quite a bit of Danny Elfman's work as a composer (especially the bits of vocals.) If anyone needs some fairytale-type music, this would be a great thing to use.
6. "Shadow Caste: A Short Film (Low Quality)" (Attilee) - Directing a collaboration is one of the most demanding things one can take on at hitRECord. Attilee's "Shadow People" collaboration has attracted many contributions over the months and the characters have taken on numerous forms and appeared in many different stories. Having Attilee chime in on where the collaboration stands was great to see, and she crafts her thoughts very articulately. This is an enormously helpful REsource for anyone that's been working on the collaboration or was looking for a bit of direction and additional insight.
7. "RE-REC gif 3" (Niki) - A lot of hitRECorders helped bring some icon-ic life to the "RE-RECommendations" collaboration. Niki's .gif image stood out to me because it really showcases the fun side of doing these weekly albums. Thanks to Niki and so many other artists there are all kinds of icons that can be used for RE-REC album icons. Keep 'em coming!
8. "The Old Prince - The Reading" (dcsweet) - Some of my favorite audio recordings on the site are those that are muffled, distorted, or simply rough around the edges. I think there are so many interesting things about a dusty audio recording, especially one that's a reading or voice over. Here dcsweet has done a reading of InkedCanvas's "the old prince" on her cell phone, and the result is utterly fascinating. There's a lot of background ambiance and even some kind of lulabye-sounding tune as well. At times the words are difficult to fully understand, but I found it so powerful and unique. This would be quite the addition to an abstract REmix of "the old prince."
9. "Washington" (ClicheKillsWOrd) - I felt a lot of anticipation when viewing this photograph. It really looks like the beginning of an adventure as the person is about to set off into the forest. The composition is particularly interesting because the green leaves begin in the lower left hand part of the frame and sort of twirl up along the right side, and then stop. And then, above, all you see are the towering trees looming above the person. It's so striking and representative of nature's dominance.
10. "winged beasts that leapt and fluttered into motion " (MarieIv) / "hevn told urth" (amferraro) - This animation of MarieIv's and this song by amferraro were both featured so I don't have too much to add that hasn't already been said by so many others on the site. But I did want to mention that MarieIv's use of amferraro's song made for an absolutely perfect combination. She chose just the right part of the song to cut her animation to and now that sequence is embedded in my brain. The two are inseperable at this point in my opinion. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that she not only presented her work as an essential part of the "creation myth" collaboration, but made a very strong case for amferraro's work because of how well the two went together in the RECord she uploaded.
I doodled this during class today. The notes weren't supposed to show through at first but I sort of liked how it looked.
That's about it. :]
The music in my heart had the volume turned down
E Q ed pursued mr Engineer dude get loud and lewd let me get my go round
married to the game goin ina circle vicious and cold like cicles of ice
stalactites in my mind cave where the echo bounces
Im heavy in yo town ounces and pounds get weighed up
scale it down when im around anouncements
and ceremonies commence relentless flow
when in attendance you could pay a pence or mo
i been know for incredible decked out desires almost impossible
but you gotta live to grow
fashow its necessary status a fascist killah
dismantle the apparatus of a dysfunctional dynasty tryin me for my freedom
they always got a problem when they know that we dont need em i feed em
what they need even though they try to bleed you dry
kill em with love no eye for eye
you live and die, nobody know what comes next
so protect ya neck and always come correct
Im like a actor but a rapper with skill for cinema
in not pretending but blending with the scenery
medicated consulting my doctor to get the greenery
all up in that ass enema flow remember me
accessing symmetry pivot on my axis
rap this up B chapelle show velcro flow stick to ya rib shit
Killin me.. you feelin me yet, who gives a fuck though
right?.. deep down we do dont fight the feelin at night
I right to recite and excite myself
its type sick, polite, and collected
Highly respected when on a record
lets reck this reckless thats on my check list
get the amps out turn em all up
can we test this mic again before we do the set list?
It's been taking the original some time to encode so let's try a lower quality then!
Joe thinks some possible short films from the nine re-featured collabs has a chance at being shown at the HitRECord at the Movies show. We've got the foundation set, now all we need is a little work going into possibly creating/finding a story to tell, making some voice overs, and finally RECording music and animation to make these shadows tell their tale!
Some possible options for short stories/poems to create into a short film:
The Gleeful Gloam, by JulesKD: http://hitrecord.org/records/323106
Ombre of Umbra - The Beginnings of a ShadowStory, by phenomenaaa: http://hitrecord.org/records/322269
Shadow Haikus, by jestsaying: http://hitrecord.org/records/324412
Shadow Caste, by Attilee: http://hitrecord.org/records/355991
I try to record a reading from your writing.
The result is not clear enough due to recorded only by cellphone.
the background piano is a credit to Miss Dhisa Merlany (my friend).
Hope u like it.
I desperately want to go back to Washington State. I love the rainforest. I've been there twice in the last two years and every time i have to have a nice damp, cool walk through the Olympic National Forest and see the La Push beaches (especially 2nd. Third was such a waste when I went there.)
And the green guy is my dad. he looks so tiny next to those trees.
I love those trees:)
Any feedback, suggestions are very much appreciated. Consider it a sketch, or a rough draft. Because I didn't know how to draw this, I desided to make a quick short video-concept. Wich turned out not so quick...My computer nearly died rendering it :) I just wanted to experiment a bit with the images, and the words "whose waves formed winged beasts that leapt and fluttered into motion."
and, it's only 26 mb, so if anyone need a bigger version, just let me know.
just brainstorming possible themes / moods / whatever. this is by no means anything close to finished, i just wanted to throw it out there and get some feedback. i listened to joe's reading a couple times and this recording just sort of happened.
i know it's very early for music -- this isn't intended to go into whatever this production turns out to be. it's just an early concept.